Diamond War Memorial Project

Acting Corporal Victor Logan Thompson

8th (Service) Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). Regimental Number S/40434
Born: ---- Died: 1916-10-19 Aged: -- Enlisted: ------

Name recorded on Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Name also commemorated on the Diamond War Memorial.

Son of Mr Thomas H. Thompson, secretary of the Y.M.C.A. Brother of Winifred Thompson, 9, Melrose Terrace, Londonderry. Also brother of Henry Norman Thompson and Thomas Boyd Thompson, who also lost their lives in the First World War.

Victor Logan’s father received a letter, around December 1916, from the Adjutant of the Black Watch, stating that his son, ‘Corporal V.L. Thompson, was last seen on the 19th October, while the battalion was in action, carrying a wounded comrade from the fire trench to the rear. At this period our lines were under very heavy enemy shell fire.’ He regretted that no further information concerning him was available.
Victor Logan Thompson was employed prior to the Great War in Messrs. A. McCay & Co.’s, Ferryquay Street, and enlisted in the Black Watch along with several junior members of the Y.M.C.A. He was quickly promoted sergeant, but, finding his chums were under orders for the Front, he surrendered his stripes and volunteered for active service. He was a member of the Derry Regiment U.V.F.
The name of Victor Thompson was read out during a Protestant inter-denominational memorial service held, on Sunday, July 1, 1917, in St Columb’s (Church of Ireland) Cathedral, Londonderry, to commemorate those Derry men who had made the supreme sacrifice during the previous year.
Victor Logan Thompson’s father, Mr Thomas Henry Thompson, a member of Londonderry Corporation, died on Sunday, February 22, 1925, after suffering a heart attack. Mr Thompson, accompanied by his wife, was on his way from his residence in Melrose Terrace to attend evening service in Carlisle Road Presbyterian Church, of which his daughter, Miss Winifred Thompson, was the organist, when he became suddenly ill. He was assisted into the house of Mr James Morrison, Dacre Terrace, where everything possible was done for him by three doctors, who had been hurriedly called in. But the popular citizen was beyond human aid, and death took place shortly after eight o’clock. Mr Thompson had a life of usefulness in the city. For almost half a century he was connected with the firm of Welch Margetson & Company. For some years he was secretary of the Londonderry Y.M.C.A. He was also an earnest temperance worker, and acted as secretary of the North West Temperance Federation. A hard working member of the Corporation, he was elected chairman of the Bridge and Ferries Committee only a fortnight before his death.
At a meeting of the Londonderry Corporation, held on Monday, February 23, 1925, the Mayor (Councillor Magee) referred in sympathetic terms to the great loss they had sustained by the death of Councillor Thompson, and moved a resolution of sympathy with his widow and family. The Mayor said the news of the sad and unexpected death cast a gloom over them. Councillor Thompson held an honoured position in the city for fifty years, and devoted himself to the temperance cause, and laboured early and late for its advancement. During the Great War he lost his only three sons, but he bore his loss like a man. He always kept a stiff upper lip and a smiling face. During the time he was a member of that Corporation his work was recognised: he was a member for less than two years when he was appointed chairman of one of the most important committees of the Corporation – the Bridge and Ferries Committee. They sorrowed with his widow and family, and trusted they would be endowed with fortitude to bear their great trial.
Councillor Burns, in seconding the resolution, said it had been twenty-eight years since he first had the pleasure of meeting Councillor Thompson. On that particular occasion he was identified with a Christian Convention at Portrush. Councillor Thompson devoted a great part of his life to work of this sort. He was an ardent temperance worker, and always expressed his views fearlessly. It had only been a few weeks since Councillor Thompson proposed a resolution in that Chamber requesting the Corporation to have a well-appointed plan for next peace day celebrations. Councillor Thompson had called with him and asked him would he second this, as, he said, he himself did not like to say too much in connection with it on account of the three boys he lost in the Great War. He said he would not be satisfied until this work, together with the erection of a memorial, was carried out in its entirety. They all very much regretted and deplored his loss. A kind, courteous, and sympathetic friend, and a debater whom they would all miss very much.
Councillor Hamilton joined in the tribute, mentioning that he had been with the deceased at his last moments. A more conscientious man than Mr Thompson he did not know. He was ever ready to assist any good cause.
Councillor Captain Wilton said during the time he had known Councillor Thompson in the Corporation he had ample evidence of the enthusiasm and intelligent interest which he had taken in the business. They would miss him. They regretted that he had been called away for with the leisure that he had at his disposal he was a very valuable man in the management of the affairs of the city. Deceased took a broad and unbiased view of every topic that came before the Council. Only that day week he was present at a meeting which discussed at considerable length the final arrangements in regard to the shape that their War Memorial would take. But the thing that he was most anxious about – to have it consecrated – was denied him. He (Councillor Wilton) had often discussed the Great War and its effects with the deceased, and he could strongly emphasise what had been said with regard to the fortitude and courage with which, not only the deceased but his wife, took their appalling loss.