Diamond War Memorial Project

Captain John Goold Adams

1st/2nd Battalion Leinster Regiment Regimental Number ----
Born: 1883-10-10 Died: 1915-05-05 Aged: 32 Enlisted: ------

Name inscribed on St Columb's Cathedral (Church of Ireland) Memorial to the men connected with that cathedral who died during the 1914-18 War, and listed on All Saints' Church (Church of Ireland), Clooney Parish, 1914-18 Roll of Honour. Name also recorded on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West Vlaanderen, Belgium, and on the Diamond War Memorial.

Only son of the Venerable John Michael Goold-Adams, Archdeacon of Derry, and rector of Clonleigh, and Emma (nee McClintock). Brother of Dorothea Georgina Smyth (born May 21, 1881), Ardmore, Londonderry, and Margaret Alice Adams (born April 29, 1887).

Hill 60, where Captain Adams met his death, was a low eminence two and a half miles south east of Ypres, near Zillebeke, Belgium. It was of tactical importance in the Great War, as the summit gave the Germans good observation of the British movements. In April 1915, the British seized the top, but the Germans recovered it on May 5 and retained it until June 1917. Twice again it changed hands before being finally recovered in September 1918.

Though only about thirty-two years of age when killed, Captain Goold-Adams had seen much service. Selecting the army for his career in his youth, he duly passed through Sandhurst College, and received his commission in the 1st Leinsters. Subsequently he was accepted for duty in Nigeria, where he remained several years. In the autumn of 1913 he was married to Miss Irene Biddulph, second daughter of Mr and Mrs Assheton-Biddulph, Moneyguyneen, Kinnity, King's County. Some time afterwards he went to India on duty, returning home on the outbreak of hostilities to serve in his regiment at the Front. A couple of months before his death he was slightly wounded, but soon recovered in a hospital at Le Havre, and rejoined his regiment. Captain Goold-Adams was well-known in the city of Londonderry, where he spent his childhood.

At a meeting of the Derry and Raphoe Diocesan Council, held on Wednesday, May 26, 1915 ? the Venerable Archdeacon Goold-Adams presiding ? the Reverend Canon Warren proposed the following resolution in connection with the death of Captain Goold-Adams:- 'We, the members of the Derry and Raphoe Diocesan Council, desire to express our sincere sympathy to the Archdeacon of Derry and Reverend Canon R. G. S. King, and to the members of their families, in their recent sad bereavement caused by the death in war of Captain John Goold-Adams and Second Lieutenant King, and we request our secretary to convey our vote of condolence to them.'

Captain John Goold-Adams' father, John Michael Goold-Adams, was born in Kingston, the son of William Goold-Adams, a physician, and entered Trinity College, Dublin, on November 1, 1870, at the age of sixteen. He was ordained as deacon, on September 12, 1875, in the diocese of Kilmore. The following year he came as curate to the parish of Taughboyne, and from there went to St Columb's Cathedral, Londonderry, in 1878, where he remained curate for about three years before being appointed vicar of All Saints Church, Clooney, Londonderry, in 1881. There he stayed until 1914, when the parish of Clonleigh became vacant, and he was appointed its rector. In 1920 he resigned from this post, and in the following year he also retired from the Archdeaconry of Derry, to which he had succeeded Archdeacon Colquhoun in 1914. He died at Liverpool on July 17, 1922. During his lifetime the Reverend Goold-Adams also acted as chaplain to the workhouse and to the troops at Ebrington Barracks in Londonderry. He acted in a similar capacity to the Lord Lieutenant from 1901-1905, to Primate Alexander from 1906 till his death, and to Bishop Chadwick. He was one of the examining chaplains to the Bishop of Derry and Raphoe, Dr Peacocke, and was canon of St Columb's Cathedral, Londonderry, from 1893 till 1914. He married Emma McClintock, daughter of Robert McClintock of Dunmore, Co. Donegal, who predeceased him by about thirty years. His daughter, Dorothea, married a Mr Smyth, of Ardmore, and moved to Argentina. She was visiting her father when he passed away.